As per the notification of Central Board Of Direct Tax (CBDT), deadline for linking PAN CARD with Aadhaar is 31st March 2020. The IT Department earlier said that PAN Card may become inoperative if it’s not linked with Aadhar on or before the last date, and if Aadhar and PAN are not linked, The Assessing Officer (AO) may levy the penalty amounting to Rs. 10,000/- This penalty of Rs. 10,000/- will be imposed under the Section 272B of the Income Tax Act, 1961.
Note :- While income tax returns can be filed without linking, the tax department will not process the income tax returns until PAN and Aadhaar are linked
To make sure that IT Department will not imposed any penalty on you or do not deactivate your pan card, linking PAN Card with Aadhar before 31st March, 2020 is a must. Linking PAN with Aadhar is a very easy process it may be done by different ways, as follows:-
Process of linking PAN with AADHAR :-
- Without logging in to your Income Tax Portal Account
- With logging in to your Income Tax Portal Account
- Linking of PAN with Aadhar via SMS
Without logging in to your account :- It takes just 3 steps to link PAN with Aadhar
- Go to https://www1.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/e-FilingGS/Sservices/LinkAadhaarHome.html
- Enter all the details required i.e., PAN, Aadhar number, Name as per Aadhar etc.
- Generate OTP and your Aadhar will be linked
With logging in to your account :- It includes 5 steps in linking PAN with Aadhar
- Register yourself at https://www1.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/e-FilingGS/Registration/RegistrationHome.html?lang=eng if you are not registered earlier.
- Login to e-filling portal of the Income Tax Department by entering login id, password and captcha code
- After logging in to the site, a pop up window will appear prompting you to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card. In case, it’s not appear than go to profile setting and select “link Aadhar”
- Verify all the details maintained and enter Aadhar card number with the captcha code than click on the “link now” button
- A pop-up message will inform you that your Aadhaar number has been successfully linked to your PAN card.
Linking of PAN with Aadhar via SMS :- Now you can link your Aadhaar and PAN through SMS also. The Income Tax Department has urged taxpayers to link their Aadhaar with their PAN, using an SMS-based facility. It can be done by sending an SMS to either 567678 or 56161.Send SMS to 567678 or 56161 from your registered mobile number with Aadhar Card.
In order to do so, you need to type UIDPAN<12-digit Aadhaar><10-digit PAN> and send it on the above mentioned number.